Alcohol and Entertainment Licensing

Alcohol and entertainment licences: what do I need to know?

If you own or manage a pub, a nightclub, restaurant or bar, you will need to have a licence to sell alcohol, provide regulated entertainment or late night refreshment. The decisions about whether to grant or refuse licences for alcohol and entertainment are initially made by your local authority and, if objections are received, a hearing is generally required. You may also need to comply with the separate planning regime [insert hyperlink]. 

It is worth taking expert advice if you are applying for a licence to serve alcohol or offer entertainment or late night refreshment, or if you are applying for a variation to an existing licence, or if you have had a licence application refused and wish to appeal. Equally, it is also worth getting expert advice if you wish to argue against someone applying for an alcohol or entertainment licence (for example, if you feel that this will create crime, disorder, nuisance or disturbance). 

If you are an operator you may also find yourself subjected to a licence “Review” application. Potentially, this can have very serious consequences for your business and livelihood.

myBarrister can put you in touch with a barrister who is expert in licensing who will be able to advise you quickly and cost-effectively.    

Why do I need a barrister?

Barristers are experts in the law. They are best placed to advise you on your legal position, draft legal documents, advise on formal proceedings and use their advocacy skills to represent you to the highest standard in any court, tribunal or hearing.

Which barrister should I choose?

If you need expert advice on any alcohol or entertainment licensing matter, choose a barrister on myBarrister. Barristers will provide you with guidance so you that you know where you stand and can take the right decisions about what to do next.  

Search for an alcohol and entertainment licensing barrister here, and you’ll be in direct contact with a barrister within minutes.



Request callback