David specialises in construction, engineering and process engineering work, dealing with contentious and non-contentious matters and in particular the resolution of construction and engineering disputes in litigation, arbitration, adjudication, alternative dispute resolution and expert determination. His professional qualifications, extensive practical experience and technical knowledge aid him in providing early case assessments and advise on contract and professional negligence matters. He also undertakes general commercial litigation, and provides advice on non-contentious matters, in particular in relation to construction, engineering and process engineering projects.
David has acted for a wide variety of clients including international employers, developers, consultants, major, medium and small contractors and specialist sub-contractors, individuals and insurers.
David has experience both as an adjudicator and legal adviser in arbitration, and will accept independent appointments as adjudicator or arbitrator.
David qualified as a solicitor in 1997 and as a solicitor advocate in 2004. He transferred to the Bar in 2013 and joined Exchange Chambers in 2014.
Prior to qualifying as a solicitor, David worked for many years in the construction, engineering and process engineering industries as a quantity surveyor, project manager and costs control manager with responsibility for a wide variety of projects throughout the UK, Ireland and the USA. He is a Chartered Surveyor (MRICS), Chartered Builder (MCIOB) and Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb).
What my clients say
- “His practice comprises both contentious and non-contentious matters, with his quantity surveying background giving him an advantage. “Because he’s been on both sides of the fence he knows how it all works.”” Chambers UK 2008
- “Fearon has a background in construction as a quantity surveyor and project manager, and is known for his “pragmatic way of looking at things, carefully balancing the cost and the benefit.” Chambers UK 2009
- "A commercially sharp, able negotiator…" Chambers UK 2011
- “…he is experienced in dispute resolution, as well as non-contentious construction matters”. Chambers UK 2012
Professional & academic
- Member of Gray's Inn
- Member of Law Society
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb)
- Chartered Quantity Surveyor (MRICS)
- Chartered Builder (MCIOB)
- Member of Society of Construction Law
- Past Chair of Yorkshire Branch of the Chartered Institute of Building
- Member of TECBAR