Hermione’s Company law practice includes shareholder disputes, derivative actions, unfair prejudice petitions, claims against directors for breach of fiduciary or statutory duty, director’s disqualification and partnership disputes.
Her insolvency expertise ensures she is adept at handling how these two areas overlap and she is experienced at handing shareholder disputes where both unfair prejudice petitions and applications to wind up a company on the just and equitable ground are being pursued.
- Settling proceedings in an action declaratory relief in relation to the identity of a BVI company’s shareholders and settling the related application to serve such proceedings outside the jurisdiction and attending court as sole counsel.
- Settling pleadings to issue proceedings for the assignee of a debt which derived from intercompany loans; drafting witness evidence and written submissions in relation to summary judgment and security for costs applications and appearing at hearing of such applications as junior counsel; dealing with and assessing what strategy to take in relation to arguments of res judicata and issue estoppel.
- Dealing with a member’s application to wind up a BVI company on the just and equitable ground due to deadlock at board level, acting for opposing shareholder; including settling evidence in response, drafting application to strike out the petition on the grounds that it had been unlawfully advertised and brought for a collateral purpose, and advising on prospects of opposing shareholder bringing an unfair prejudice action.
- Instructed to appear in High Court to oppose an application for both prohibitory and mandatory injunctive relief in an IP dispute which included allegations of breach of confidentiality.
- Advising an employee director in a matter which involved an unfair prejudice petition as well as breach of contract and constructive unfair dismissal claims.
Hermione has an excellent eye for detail and has a strategic, meticulous and sensitive approach to the detail of a case. She is described as an articulate and effective advocate who is able to present her arguments cogently and think on her feet. As a natural problem solver, Hermione systematically identifies solutions for the benefit and for the protection of her client’s best interests in order to secure their objectives. Though able to work alone, she thoroughly enjoys working hard as part of a team to do this.
Hermione has a multi-faceted chancery commercial practice. Her areas of practice comprise commercial litigation, company, insolvency, property, trusts and estates. Prior to joining New Square Chambers, Hermione worked for offshore firms in both the British Virgin Islands (BVI) and Hong Kong where she focused on shareholder disputes, claims against directors, cross-border fraud and asset-tracing claims. She obtained invaluable experience of working at the “coal face” as well as directly with clients and worked with law firms, banks and fiduciary service providers throughout the world with respect to large multi-jurisdictional transactions and disputes.
Professional & academic
Caribbean Supreme Court of the Territory of the Virgin Islands (2014)
Called to the Bar of England and Wales (Middle Temple) (2008)
Middle Temple Scholar
College of Law, London - Bar Vocational Course, Very competent.
University College London - LLB in Law with Advanced Studies degree (2:1)
- Heathcoat Trust Bursary (Merit-based award in East Devon locality for university tuition)
- Benefactors Scholarship, Middle Temple
- Chancery Bar Association
- Property Bar Association
- International Women's Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation
- Inter-pacific Bar Association
- Attendee at various C5 Fraud and Asset Tracing Recovery forums