What are your legal rights if you find that you are without a home?

Local authorities have a duty to provide a place to live to anyone in their area of responsibility. This duty can include the obligation to provide accommodation, advice and assistance to homeless people.

The local authority's homeless duties also extend to situations where people may have somewhere to stay but it is not reasonable for them to continue living in that accommodation. This could be, for example, where there is violence or domestic abuse or where the property is in such a poor condition it is not appropriate for people to stay there.

If you are homeless and are applying to be housed, there may be a number of issues that you facing.  For example:

  • ensuring your eligibility to be rehoused
  • if the Local Authority has not processed your application
  • if the Local Authority is taking a long time to process your application
  • if the Local Authority has offered you unsuitable housing (for example, if you have a disability).

myBarrister can put you in contact with a barrister who is expert on homelessness and rehousing. Your barrister will be able to assist you with any legal claims you have, including bringing an action in the County Court or High Court or representing you in judicial review proceedings.


Who is the best barrister for me?   

If you need expert advice on any homelessness or rehousing matter, choose a barrister on myBarrister. Barristers will provide you with guidance so you that you know where you stand and can take the right decisions about what to do next. 

Request callback