International Divorce

What do you need to know about international divorce?

What is the difference between divorce and international divorce? There are various situations when it becomes international, for example:

  • if you got married outside the UK
  • if you live outside the UK (strictly speaking, England and Wales, for English law) and want to get divorced in an English court
  • If you and/or your spouse are from outside the UK, have made your home in England or Wales and choose to divorce here
  • if your spouse lives outside the UK and there may be issues in tracing him or her.

Almost always, the law surrounding international divorce is complex. Different countries have different divorce laws, so choosing the best jurisdiction for your divorce is a very important decision. It is always recommended to get advice from an expert lawyer. myBarrister can put you in direct contact with a barrister who is an expert on international law, and can advise you.

Why should I choose a barrister?

Barristers are experts in the law and in the conduct of legal disputes. They are able to advise you on your legal position, draft legal documents, advise on formal proceedings and use their advocacy skills to represent you to the highest standard in any court, tribunal or hearing. 

Which barrister should I choose?

If you need expert advice on international divorce, choose a barrister on myBarrister. Barristers will provide you with expert, cost-effective and high-value guidance so you that you know where you stand and can take the right decisions about what to do next. 


Request callback