I advise and represent clients in court in a range of property disputes. These include:
- adverse possession
- alteration of the register
- beneficial interests and orders for sale
- boundary disputes
- charging orders
- party walls
- rights of way.
I am also an accredited civil and commercial mediator, and regularly represent clients at mediations or conduct mediations.
I have appeared in a number of reported property-related cases, including ones of significance in the Court of Appeal.
My aim is to achieve the best result open to you, and at a cost which is fair to you and budgeted in advance.
I will give you honest and forthright advice, and at all times act in your best interests. I am thorough and well prepared and trusted by the specialist judges in this area of law.
I will encourage you to use alternative dispute resolution where appropriate, and to protect your costs position by making realistic offers as the case progresses.
Recent work includes:
- I obtained an order determining the boundary on a substantial Grade 1-listed Cotswold estate in a position substantially different to that shown on the registered title plans.
- I obtained a satisfactory settlement for a family property company against a major housebuilder where I was able to put forward a powerful argument that the housebuilder's notice purporting to exercise an option on a £3.5 million plot was bad in law.
- I obtained a rolled up permission to appeal hearing in the Court of Appeal (to be held later in 2016) where an unrepresented party failed to correct the trial judge's misunderstanding of land registration law.
I have a lifetime's experience in spoken and written advocacy and in advice work. For a number of years, I have focused exclusively on property-related work.
Professional & academic
I was educated at Clifton College, at Manchester University where I took my LL.B. degree and was awarded the RG Lawson Prize in Roman Law, and at Lincoln College, Oxford where I completed the postgraduate B.C.L. degree.
I was called to the Bar by the Middle Temple in 1976. Between 2002 and 2005 I was a well regarded member of the Bar Council’s Professional Conduct and Complaints Committee.
Since 2004 I have been a part time Deputy Adjudicator to HM Land Registry, and subsequently as a judge of the Property Chamber of the First-tier Tribunal.
I am a members of the Chancery Bar Association, the Property Bar Association and the Professional Negligence Bar Association.
I am a published author of legal works, including the titles on Land Registration and Trespass to Land in Atkin's Court Forms and the co-author of LexisNexis' Practical Guide to Land Registration Proceedings.