Deirdre (Dee) is an experienced barrister with a diverse background who specialises in family law, civil litigation, motoring offences and immigration law. Dee has a busy practice involving all of these areas of law and is happy to accept instructions to advise and represent clients on a direct access basis in the Midlands and further afield. Dee is dual-qualified having been called to the Bar in both England and the Republic of Ireland.
Family - Children
Prior to joining the Bar, Deirdre was a children’s rights advocate, obtaining Criminal Injuries Compensation for young people in care. She has a background in social work and child protection.
Dee's busy family law practice includes the following areas:
- Children matters (Care, Adoption, Protection and Child Arrangement Orders)
- Divorce and financial settlement proceedings
- All aspects of Local Authority proceedings
- Injunctive proceedings before the family courts (non-molestation and occupation orders)
Dee has experience of representing both parents and local authorities on child protection matters. Her background in local authority child protection work makes her an ideal condidate for instructions on cases featuring heavy social services involvement.
In her current practice, she represents clients in all private law hearings, including domestic violence and children matters. She also represents clients in public law matters (care proceedings).
- Court of Appeal: Re S (A Child) 2016 EWCA Civ 495
Supreme Court of Ireland: Re J.G.H v Residential Institutions Review Committee and Anor 2017 IESC 69
While studying for her LLM, Dee was a County Court Advocate in matters relating to Landlord and Tenant Disputes, Personal Injury, RTA issues and Infant settlements. She will be happy to take instructions on these areas.
Dee also has a background in the Probation Service, having worked as a Sessional Worker in Probation Hostels for residents with very serious offences. From that experience, Dee worked in the Probation Field team, working with offenders to successfully complete their sentence plans, but also visiting prisons, preparing Parole and Breach Reports for licence and Community Orders, when required. Dee through her social work and probation background, she has experience of working with vulnerable children and adults, mental health and substance misuse. In her current practice, Dee has undertaken trials in Magistrates Court and sentencing and other matters in the Crown Court. Through her LLM studies , Dee has an interest in Asylum, and Judicial Review cases.
- The time Dee spent and gave to me was invaluable and of paramount importance to my case. Thank you Dee, you truly are an asset to your work! Mrs S.F. (direct access client)
- Dee quickly got to grips with my papers, formed an insightful view of the situation and set about putting me at ease. Dee's ability at the hearing was very impressive. She was calm and collected and negotiated really well with the other side. She really cares and really wanted the best for me and my daughter. Mr M.T. (direct access client)
- Dee truly excelled in dedication, care and involvement. She is an articulate barrister who quickly got to the core of the issues relating to my complex protracted child proceedings. She has genuine care and will take time to listen to your concerns and advise you accordingly. I am truly grateful for all the advice she has given which has been extremely valuable and has helped enormously in achieving the best outcome of this case so far. Mrs S.K. (direct access client)
- At short notice barrister Deirdre Smyth was appointed to take out case, the fees were very reasonable and in short time she put a great effort in to prepare our case and we won in court. I would highly recommend her, she is fantastic and thorough. Mrs M.A. (direct access client)
- Fantastic service I highly recommend Dee the barrister I had today. We managed to get my access settled out of court and this was because of all of Dee’s dedication and hard work. Mr A.K. (direct access client)
- Family Law Committee
- Midland Women’s Forum
- Women in Criminal Law
- Call to the Bar 2016:
Supreme Court of Ireland
- Barrister at Law degree:
Kings Inn, Dublin -Part time
- LLM International Human Rights:
Birmingham City University-Part-time
- Call to the Bar 2011:
- Bar Vocational Course:
Inns of Court School of Law-Part-time
- LLB (Hons):
- BA (Joint Honours) in American and Political Science Studies:
University of Ulster, Northern Ireland
Post bar qualifications
- Certificate from Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- ADR Civil and Commercial Mediation