Clinical Negligence

What is clinical negligence, and what should I do where there has been clinical negligence?

Clinical negligence (also known as medical negligence) is a legal term referring to the process of claiming financial compensation for physical and mental injuries and other conditions suffered as the result of a medical professional’s negligence.

Clinical negligence cases are often very difficult and, in particular, how you prove the link between the professional treatment and the person’s harm or death. It must be proved that there were serious errors in the treatment that a competent doctor would not have made, and that these errors had a direct connection to the injury for which you are claiming.  If clinical negligence is shown to be the case, you may be able to apply for compensation.

When a medical diagnosis, a surgical procedure or a hospital treatment goes wrong in the NHS or privately, and the mistake or accident was due to incompetence or lack of judgment by a doctor, surgeon or healthcare professional, you may need expert assistance from a barrister who is fully versed in these issues and can advise you on your case and how to proceed. 

myBarrister barristers can advise you – whether you are someone who has suffered injury or harm as a result of clinical negligence, or whether you are a healthcare professional against whom a charge of negligence has been made.

Be aware that, if you are claiming someone has been clinically negligent, you are usually required to start a compensation claim within three years of the date of your injury or of the date when you first discovered that your injury was the result of clinical negligence.

If the clinical negligence results in death, there may be an inquest  to determine the cause of death. We can put family members and relatives in touch with barristers who can represent them at the inquest. 

Why should I choose a barrister?

If you think you have been injured as a result of the actions of a healthcare professional that you think may amount to clinical negligence, myBarrister can put you in direct touch with a barrister who is an expert in clinical negligence cases. Your barrister will be able to advise you whether you have a possible claim for compensation and on your best course of action. Barristers can advise you on the strength of your case, draft legal documents and advise on all formal proceedings, as well as appearing for you in court, if that becomes necessary. 

Who is the best barrister for me?    

If you need expert advice on a matter of clinical negligence, choose a barrister on myBarrister. Barristers will provide you with guidance so you that you know where you stand and can take the right decisions about what to do next. 

Request callback