Professional Negligence (Business)

What are your rights and remedies if yours is a business and you have received professional services advice that you think may be negligent? First of all, you will need to know that the advice is negligent, as legally defined. The negligence must be more than simply incorrect, misguided or poor advice. The professional must be shown to have acted in a way that is below acceptable standards of professional conduct.

A barrister expert in the field of professional negligence will be able to advise you on whether you have a case for negligence and what you may be able to claim and how to go about claiming it.

Disputes arising from professional negligence can involve professionals, including:

  • Accountants
  • Architects
  • Barristers
  • Engineers
  • Financial advisers
  • Insurance brokers
  • Solicitors
  • Surveyors
  • Tax consultants


How do I prove professional negligence?

For you to be successful in any claim against a professional who has advised you negligently, you will need to be able to prove to things. First, you will need to prove that the professional failed to act with “reasonable skill and care”, which has a legal meaning based on acceptable standards used within their profession. Secondly, you will need to show that you have lost out financially as a direct result of the advice you have received. If you can prove professional negligence, you may be entitled to compensation.


Why choose a barrister?

Barristers are experts in the law. Barristers are the best placed professionals to advise you on whether there has been professional negligence in other professions as well as in the legal profession.

If you think you have lost money as a result of negligent professional advice, we can put you in touch with a barrister who will be able to advise you whether you have a possible claim for compensation and on your best course of action. Barristers can advise you on the strength of your case, draft legal documents and advise on all formal proceedings, as well as appearing for you in court proceedings, if that becomes necessary.


Choosing a barrister

If you need expert advice on a matter of professional negligence that is affecting you personally or in your business, choose a barrister on myBarrister. Barristers will provide you with guidance so you that you know where you stand and can take the right decisions about what to do next.

Search for a Professional Negligence Barrister here, and you'll be in direct contact within minutes.

Request callback