Landlord & Tenant (Personal)

What are the landlord & tenant legal issues on which I may need advice from a barrister?

myBarrister barristers advise landlords, tenants, letting agents and managing agents on landlord and tenant law. If you are a landlord renting out your property, whether a house or flat or more than one of either, or if you a tenant living in rented accommodation, you will have many rights and obligations.  If you are a landlord, you are obliged to keep the property in good repair; if you a tenant, you have to pay the rent (obviously). That is at its simplest, and the relationship between landlord and tenant will give rise to many more legal issues, such as:

For residential leases:

  • repairs and schedules of dilapidations
  • sub-letting
  • problem neighbours
  • who pays for repairs and renovations
  • rent reviews/arrears
  • service charges
  • terms of assured shorthold tenancies
  • health, safety and environment
  • termination
  • assignment
  • planning
  • eviction and possession
  • landlord and tenant disputes
  • lease extensions
  • dealing with Local Authorities

For commercial leases:

  • leasehold terms
  • repairs and renovations
  • possession claims
  • renewal
  • termination

Most of the time, landlord and tenants get on well and fulfill their rights and obligations. But there will be disputes. If you have a legal issue that requires expert advice, myBarrister can put you in direct contact with a barrister who will be able to assist you in a friendly, reassuring and authoritative way.

Why do I need a landlord & tenant law barrister?

Your landlord & tenant law barrister will be able to advise you on your rights, whether you are a freeholder or leaseholder, or a landlord or tenant, or whether your interest is in a commercial lease or residential tenancy. Barristers are experts in the law, are best placed to advise on the right course of action and will argue your case to the highest standard in any tribunal or court.  

Is mediation right for me?

If you are in dispute over a property, real estate or housing matter, you don’t have to go to court. You should also consider mediation, which can be less stressful and cheaper. myBarrister can connect you to specialists in property, housing and landlord and tenant mediation who can help you resolve your dispute. 

Who is the best barrister for me?    

If you need expert advice on any landlord & tenant matter, choose a barrister on myBarrister. Barristers will provide you with guidance so you that you know where you stand and can take the right decisions about what to do next. We can put you in touch with a barrister who can advise you on any proceedings that you need to take or defend.

Request callback