MyBarrister may change this policy from time to time by updating the relevant page on the website. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy was last updated on 8 October 2014.
Who We Are
We are myBarrister LTD, a company registered in England and Wales (registration number 08136883) and with registered address of 8 Stone Buildings, Lincoln's Inn, London WC2A 3TA (myBarrister, we, us, our). We are registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioner's Office.
We respect your right to privacy and will only process personal data you provide to us in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998, the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 (as amended) and other applicable privacy laws.
We regard the fair and lawful treatment of personal data as very important to successful business operations, and to the maintenance of confidence between you and us.
How We Collect and Use Your Personal Information
When you access or browse the Service or otherwise deal with us (for example when you submit a query to a barrister), we may collect certain information from you, including:
- your name;
- your phone and email details; and
- details of your legal issue (though we do not save or store this information).
If you are a barrister subscribing to the Service, we may collect some of the above information alongside:
- details of your professional qualifications, profile details and contact information; and
- your payment details (including your credit card information where relevant).
We or third parties, including without limitation, sub-contractors and third party data processors acting on our behalf may use your personal data:
- to provide you with the relevant services, for example your subscription to the Service if you are a barrister;
- if you are a visitor to the Service, when passing on your requests to contact a barrister;
- to send you email newsletters and other emails relating to MyBarrister offers, discounts, press releases and other products and services from us;
- for our own administration, marketing, survey, customer service and continuous business development purposes;
- to carry out research and analysis and monitor customer use of the Service on an anonymous basis to identify general trends and to understand better our customers' behaviours; and
- to investigate, respond to and comply with any legal, regulatory and similar requests in relation to the Service.
We will not sell or share your information with a third party (other than any data processors acting on our behalf) unless you consent to this.
If you are a visitor to the Service and call our Call Centre, search for a barrister or submit a request, our Call Centre may pass on that request to the relevant barrister (and the relevant members of that barrister's chambers). That barrister's use of your details is subject to their own privacy policies and practices, and we have no control over (or accept any liability for) such use. Please check with the relevant barrister in each case how your information will be used by them.
When a search is performed, myBarrister may use a small number of cookies during each visit to the website, some of which may be stored permanently on your computer. A standard acceptance dialogue box will appear on the site, ans your acceptance here will constitute acceptance of receipt of the cookies.
We do not transfer information that we collect from you to third party data processors located in countries that are outside of the European Economic Area.
You have the following rights:
- the right to ask what personal data that we hold about you at any time, subject to payment of a fee specified by law;
- the right to ask us to update and correct any out-of-date or incorrect personal data that we hold about you free of charge; and
- the right to opt out of any marketing communications that we may send you.
We are GDPR Compliant. The information you have provided us is personal. If you are a potential client it will only be used to assist you in finding a barrister to instruct. If you are a barrister it will be used to enable us to secure instructions for you.
If a potential client or barrister requests us to delete their private information we will do so. Such request must be in writing.
If you wish to exercise any of the above rights, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org. If you wish to unsubscribe from e-mail marketing communications that we send you, you can easily do this by clicking on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any e-mail newsletter we have sent to you or emailing us at email@example.com.