Defamation & Privacy (Personal)

What can I do if my privacy has been invaded?

Everyone has the right to privacy, and to stop private information about themselves being revealed without their permission or being misused. It does not matter whether the information revealed is true or false, you still have the right to stop it being put out in the public domain. The sort of private information you would not want publicly revealed, for example, would include details about your health, your sexual relationships, your personal financial matters, things that happen with your own home and private conversations. The publication of photographs without your permission also falls within the category of breach of privacy.

In recent years, the laws relating to privacy have been strengthened. If you feel that someone else has revealed private information about you without your permission either online or in some other way, we can connect you with a barrister who will advise you on the right course of action. The options open to you, if you have a good case for breach of privacy, are usually injunctions (where a court order prevents someone from doing something) or damages (which is financial compensation).

There are also business implications for privacy. As a business, you need to be well informed about privacy. You will also need to comply with laws relating to data protection.

Why do I need a barrister?

The laws relating to privacy are comparatively straightforward. In practice, however, it can be difficult to prove that privacy has been breached. Issues that might arise are: is the information already in the public domain? is the information so trivial that its release has not caused you distress? In all cases, a barrister who is expert in privacy law will be able to advise you. Barristers are experts in the law, are best placed to advise on the right course of action and will argue your case to the highest standard in any tribunal or court.

Is mediation right for me?

If you are in dispute over a privacy issue, you don’t have to go to court. You should also consider mediation, which can be less stressful and cheaper. myBarrister can connect you to specialists in mediation who can help you resolve your dispute.

Who is the best barrister for me?

If you need expert advice on privacy and how to enforce your rights, choose a barrister on myBarrister. Barristers will provide you with guidance so you that you know where you stand and can take the right decisions about what to do next. We can put you in touch with a barrister who can advise you on any proceedings that you need to take or defend.

Search for a barrister here, and you’ll be in direct contact with a barrister within minutes.

Request callback