James specialises in family law, civil litigation and costs. He accepts instructions in relation to Children Act matters (child arrangements) as well as Divorce and Financial Settlements. James is also happy to assist in cases where there are allegations of domestic abuse and protective orders are sought. He is very familiar with the protective remedies available under the Family Law Act and Protection from Harassment Act. Prior to being called to the Bar, James practiced as a solicitor and costs lawyer for many years. He is also a qualified mediator and sits as a magistrate in the criminal courts in his spare time.
Family Law (Children)
James deals with all aspects of Child Arrangements under Section 8 of the Children Act. He is frequently instructed to attend dispute resolution appointments, fact finding and final contested hearings. He is familiar with many of the issues often raised in relation to safeguarding and the wishes and feelings of the child. James often handles matters from cradle to grave and many of his cases have resulted in successful final orders being achieved.
James’ Family Law (Children) practice involves the following areas:
- Child Arrangement Orders
- Parental Responsibility
- Prohibited Steps Orders
- Specific Issue Orders
- Domestic Violence
- Non-molestation Orders
- Occupation Orders
Family Law (Financial Settlement)
James also accepts instructions in relation to financial matters on marriage breakdown. He is familiar with issues relating to income and capital orders. James offers practical advice and advocacy within financial proceedings in the knowledge of the court’s desire to achieve a fair outcome for all parties.
James’ Family Law (Financial Settlement) practice involves the following areas:
- Income Orders
- Capital Orders
- The Clean Break
Civil Litigation and Costs
James is a specialist civil litigation and costs barrister. He regularly conducts trials for Claimants and Defendants in the county courts across the UK and acts for many of the country’s leading solicitors, public bodies and insurers. James adopts a forensic cross examination technique in court and he has secured many victories for clients since joining Clerksroom.
James is regularly instructed to conduct high value and complex hearings before Regional Costs Judges and Masters in the Senior Court Costs Office. He is regularly instructed to deal with all aspects of Costs and Case Management in multi-million-pound matters. James also has extensive technical experience in Fixed Recoverable Costs cases and applications for relief from sanctions.
James’ Civil practice includes the following areas:
- Business to business contracts
- Consumer contracts
- Insurance contracts
- Sale of goods and services
- Complex, high value and technical costs disputes
- Civil trials involving allegations of dishonesty and fraud
- Clinical negligence
- Debt recovery
- Landlord and tenant
James sits as a magistrate and is familiar with all aspects of summary only offences and sentencing in the Magistrates Court. He is regularly instructed to defend road traffic charges including speeding, driving under the influence, careless and dangerous driving, failure to furnish information and insurance offences.
James’ Criminal practice covers the following areas:
- Police investigations
- Plea and allocation issues
- Bail applications
- Matters for sentencing and mitigation
What my clients say
- "I had been trying to sort out an ongoing legal problem for the last ten years using a prominent law firm to no avail. After contacting James, his expertise, knowledge and perseverance gained a great result, which without his help could have resulted in bankruptcy. I cannot speak or praise him highly enough." - Peter Goldrick (debt matter)
- "After a successful win, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you so very much for yesterday. I am still in tears of joy!!" - Regina Mensah (family matter)
- “I was very happy having James Miller as representation. He successfully won a case within a month, compared to a three-year battle managed by others. James was professional and able to put his point across very proficiently. I would have no hesitation recommending him to someone who needs his services. Thank you for your hard work.” - Raj (civil matter)
- "James was really helpful in getting my will updated post-divorce. He was very friendly to deal with and very respectful of the sensitive nature of the situation. Thank you James for helping me to get things sorted so quickly and efficiently!" - Rachel (wills and probate matter)
- "Mr Miller has a professional and no-nonsense attitude. I am always confident my clients will be in the very best of hands when I instruct him. I would highly recommend Mr Miller.” - Hannah Wilde (criminal and civil matters)
- “James has helped me out with several matters over the years. He is extremely efficient and professional. I would recommend him to anyone.” - B Ridgway (contract matters)