Firearms Licensing

Firearm and shot gun certificates: what do I need to know?

If you want to possess a firearm or shot gun then you will need a relevant certificate from the chief of police for the police area in which you live.

The statutory test is different for a shot gun than a firearm, which is far more stringent. Likewise, the power that the police have to revoke certificates is different. Each decision is taken on its merits.

Appeals against a refusal to grant or a revocation of any certificate go direct to the Crown Court. Such an appeal has to be made in a written notice of Appeal within 21 days of receiving the decision letter. Each appeal is not a review of the police decision whether it was right or wrong but is a complete hearing based on the evidence put before the court. That is why you will need expert advice and possibly also representation from a barrister.

Why do I need a barrister?

Barristers are experts in the law. They are best placed to advise you on your legal position, draft legal documents, advise on formal proceedings and use their advocacy skills to represent you to the highest standard in any court, tribunal or hearing.

Which barrister should I choose?

If you need expert advice on any firearm or shot gun licensing matter, choose a barrister on myBarrister. Barristers will provide you with guidance so you that you know where you stand and can take the right decisions about what to do next.  


Request callback